Guaranteed Investment Funds, (GIFs)
Those benefits include:
- Guarantees that can help protect your investments
- Guaranteed death benefits
- Potential creditor protection
- The right to designate a beneficiary
- Tax and estate planning advantages
- An option that lets you reset your guarantee to a higher amount (for some contracts, see section 4)
- Guaranteed income benefits (for GMWB contracts, see section 4)
- Diversification through a selection of growth, income and balanced funds
- Flexibility to switch between funds offered within the same contract without fees
- Liquidity that allows you to promptly redeem all or part of your investment
Guaranteed Investment Funds, (GIFs), also called segregated fund policies, are long-term investments that offer capital guarantees. When you invest in a segregated fund contract you combine the growth potential of investment funds with certain guarantees and benefits of a contract with a life insurance company. (Guarantees vary by company.)
Paul is a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) licensed by the Financial Planners Standards Council; Financial and Estate Plans are provided under that license.
The information contained in this website is intended to provide general guidelines only. The application and impact of the law can vary widely from case to case based on the specific or unique facts involved. Accordingly, the information in this article is not intended to serve as legal, accounting or tax advice. Users are encouraged to consult with their professional advisers for advice concerning specific matters before making a decision.
** Email Disclosure: For your convenience, you have the option of contacting by email. Please note that no email is 100% secure. Only provide us with your contact information and your question. Do not include sensitive information such as income, social insurance number.